Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-icmpv6-filtering-recs to informational

On 14-jun-2006, at 2:29, Fred Baker wrote:

As to my comment on the Hop Limit, I did read the document. It states, in several places, that the recommendation is that the Hop Limit be set to 255 and tested for still being 255 on receipt.

That's not a recommendation, it's a requirement.

What I stated was that I would go at it a different way. If the packet is sent with Hop Limit = 1, it cannot pass a compliant router or firewall, so there is no need to test for whether it did or didn't. My way is, I think, more robust - it depends only on the sender, not the sender and the receiver. But you note that I didn't require a change to suit my fancy either.

Setting and checking for 255 is a security feature: this makes it impossible for an attacker sitting behind one or more routers to spoof a packet that seems to originate on the local link, which can be done with 1.

And of course setting the hop limit to 1 and checking for 255 doesn't work, as we learned when trying to apply the same mechanism to BGP.

If vendors don't bother implementing the check for 255, the solution is for users to find a better vendor, not reward that behavior by relaxing security features.