Re: AW: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 04:57:31PM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> I read this short doc.  I don't believe it's necessary, but if there's
> something important there, it could be added to the addcon draft.
>
> I believe the /48 assignment suggestion below is technically
> incorrect.  The ISP router, when it gets a packet destined to anything
> except the first /64 will inccorrectly try to use Neighbor Discovery
> to find the address, instead of forwarding it to the customer router.
> This can't possibly work unless the customer router is using proxy-ND.

Depending on the type of link.  On "real" point-to-point links (PPP,
HDLC serials), I doubt that anyone is doing ND - because there is no
need to find out about the destination mac-level address.

OTOH on things like "ATM bridged encapsulation", you're completely
right.  You need a peer IPv6 address to route the /48 to.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  88685

SpaceNet AG                    Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14      Tel : +49-89-32356-0
D- 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-234