RE: AW: Guidelines for Numbering IPv6 Point-to-Point Links and Easing the Addressing Plans

Along these lines there are two other aspects that are worth
considering:

1. A single address with scope larger than link-local would indeed be
sufficient for a router as long as the network management policies and
tools do not need to reach specific interfaces for troubleshooting
purposes for example.

2. In the case of a Service Provider that offers VPN services, an
address with a scope larger than link-local is necessary for each VRF
for things such as PMTU discovery. In that case, it might be easier to
simply assign that address to the PE-CE link rather than create for
example a loopback for each VRF.

In principle link-locals are sufficient for the PE-CE link however in
practice, all little details considered, people might end up assigning
more than that to the link. And in that sense, it will be better to use
a prefix set aside by the SP for its own infrastructure rather than what
is delegated to the customer (as Ole mentioned).

Regards,
Chip