Re: [RRG] Re: address reclamation

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 07:30 -0400, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> Earlier, Per wrote:
> % How hard is it the internet registries to ask a statistically
> % significant selection of their clients (LIRs) and known
> % legacy-allocation holders if they're willing to give up some of
> % their allocated blocks, how much of it, and on which conditions?
> %
> % They haven't even tried, ...
>
> Actually, you have been unfair to the RIRs.
> They have tried this.  I believe they continue to try this.
>
> So far, they have been able to get several /8 blocks back from US DoD.
> They also were able to get a /8 back from Stanford University.

I'm aware of those efforts, and they are appreciated. Yet, numbers so
far are nowhere near anything that can make a real difference.

> This is all public information.  It was presented (at least) at the
> last RIPE meeting held in Amsterdam.  I would guess the presentation
> slides can be found online some place.

I followed it live (webcast) so I'm fully aware.

The "market survey" that I described that can give some indication of a
different future with potentially masses of reclaimed or re-sold space
is missing,

//per