RE: çå: Q on Ver.-05 of draft-ietf-radext-ipv6-access after IETF81 radext session

Wojciech - Ok. So help me out here: An operator has two pools, A for business
customers, B for residential. In both cases the operator expects Foo-bar
addressing method to be used and customers in A or B. How does the NAS pick
the right pool based on receiving a single attribute containing an
enumerated code-point for Foo-bar?

The default behavior configured on the NAS will pick the right address/prefix pools per the 'User-Type' (or Node/Access-Type), if it has not received the attributes of pool-name attributes (Framed-Pool, Framed-IPv6-Pool, or Delegated-IPv6-Prefix-Pool, Stateful-IPv6-Address-Pool ) from AAA server.

The 2nd use case of 'User/Node/Access-Type' is that the attributes combination of 'User/Node/Access-Type' + single (or multiple) attributes of 'Framed-Pool' [ or Framed-IPv6-Pool' (if we'd like to keep this attribute) or 'Delegated-IPv6-Prefix-Pool' (if we insist on using this attribute) or 'Stateful-IPv6-Address-Pool' (if we insist on using this attribute) ] can be used to indicate the right address/prefix pools for that specified user after authentication.

In the case defined above, the attributes authorized by AAA server can be 'User/Node/Access-Type' + 'Framed-Pool' containing A or 'User/Node/Access-Type ' + 'Framed-Pool' containing B. But if the pool B is in the default configuration of NAS, the attribute authorized by AAA server can only include 'User/Node/Access-Type'.

In any case, the AAA server need definitely understand the name & type & purpose of the various type of pools condifured on the NAS before the authorization for the users. NAS need definitely interpret those name strings containing in the pool-name attributes (Framed-Pool or etc) received from the AAA server.
That might means we don't really need to indicate the category (or type) of the pool names.

Wojciech - Precedent = rfc3162, rfc4818, and earlier non IPv6 ones, each define named pools for a specific purpose.

RFC4818 has not defined any concept for pools.
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc4818/?include_text=1
http://www.iana.org/assignments/radius-types/radius-types.xml
Best Regards,
Leaf