Re: Last call on extensions document?

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011, Avi Lior wrote:

I also support the notion of having a "family-specific" attribute set.

I'm sorry for any confusion. The intent was never to "take away" any options that already exist. I certainly am not suggesting any current attributes be changed in any way.

All I suggested is that a new "data type" be specified allowing single IP Addresses to be conveyed in either IPv4 or IPv6 address family.

It would be up to the designer of a new attribute to weigh the pros and cons and select the appropriate data type. This would simply be another tool in the extensions toolbox at their disposal.

My reasons are somewhat different.
In the case of carrying a "pure" IPv6 address and a pure IPv4 address then
the argument for having a single attribute to carry both makes sense.

My recommendation is limited to anything that would currently fit in the IPv4 or IPv6 address data types.

regards,
Peter