Re: Final call for consensus poll for IANA #409959 NAS-Port-Type value request

Hi,

>     (me) In detail: My reservations against doing the WiFi
>     Interworking are the same as in the meeting (i.e. why is "WiMAX
>     Wifi" different from normal WiFi, which has a NAS-Port-Type
>     already), but I don't care too much.
>

> (Avi)Because the behaviour in WiMAX is different then when the AAA is
> performing 'normal' WiFi operations.
> Anyway you seem to care a lot.

I care less about this one value than about all the others I wrote
something about in the remainder of my mail. Unfortunately, you didn't
respond to these AFAICT.

On-topic again: I just don't get what "behaviour is different" means. Is
the type of network access being provisioned (i.e. what the user gets
after authenticating) compatible to the IEEE 802.11 standard (and/or any
of the amendments)? If so, it's WiFi, and WiFi already has a
NAS-Port-Type. If it's not, maybe WiMAX should get a new NSA-Port-Type.

I think I can guesstimate where the desire for a separate NAS-Port-Type
for WiMAX-WiFi would come from, even if the actual network access is
plain WiFi. I am (sortof) facing the same desire for my eduroam
hotspots: when doing AAA for eduroam, the business logic may be a
different one from when doing just-some-other-WiFi on the same NAS.

I would be delighted to have an IETF-approved tag "this is *eduroam*
WiFi" so I could apply my different business logic depending on whether
I want to service an eduroam login, or a something-else login that comes
in from the same NAS.

Still, that desire is wrong :-)

A protocol isn't there to support one particular implementor's internal
business logic; its purpose is to make interoperable
(cross-organisation) standards. NAS-Port-Type has a clear semantics: an
implementation which sees this value can expect the network access type
to be IEEE 802.11.
If you want to express something more fine-grained than just the
NAS-Port-Type, why use the attribute NAS-Port-Type with wrong semantics
for it. From a quick look into the draft "RADIUS attributes for IEEE 802
Networks", there are some candidates: Mobility-Domain-Id,
Network-Id-Name ? Not sure about the semantics of either, but that
document in general looks like a much more natural fit to express what
*exact* WiFi properties to expect within the NAS-Port-Type of IEEE-80211.

So, I would really call for a litmus test: is the network access being
provisioned compatible to IEEE 802.11(a/b/g/n/whatever)? Yes:
NAS-Port-Type exists; no new allocation, look into other attributes. No:
Consider issuing a new NAS-Port-Type for this.

That question is a technical one, and I would hope it has a clear answer :-)

Greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan WINTER