Re: Final call for consensus poll for IANA #409959 NAS-Port-Type value request

See inline….

-- Avi Lior
--Bridgewater Systems

On 22-05-11 05:29 , "Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> wrote:

I agree with Alan and Stefan:  against allocation.

Alan DeKok said:

> In summary: against allocation.

I agree.

Stefan Winter said;

"In summary: against allocation.

In detail: My reservations against doing the WiFi Interworking are the same as in the meeting (i.e. why is "WiMAX Wifi" different from normal WiFi, which has a NAS-Port-Type already), but I don't care too much.
Because the behaviour in WiMAX is different then when the AAA is performing 'normal' WiFi operations.
Anyway you seem to care a lot.

For the other types, my feeling is much stronger against allocation. As per Avi's mail, there are

- voice service
- DHCP service
- location based service

The word "service" in these is a brightly blinking indicator that this is not about a port type, but a service type. So allocating a NAS-*Port*-Type here just doesn't seem to fit semantically.
Service Type does not work.  I wish it would. But its overloaded. For example if I want to say Authenticate-Only for Voice Service I would not be able to do so.

There is also "WiMAX Pre-Release 8 ..." stuff. This would at best be a temporary thing; when Release 8 is out, this NAS-Port-Type would just be a burnt integer. I don't think that's right.
Temporary thing hmmm.
Burnt Integer — seriously.

Leave alone that there are values which are a "function" - what would that have to do with NAS-Port-Type?
Seems to me that NAS-Port type IS the way you specify the type of service connection and hence service the request is about.

Given that all these values are to be registered as a block, and the majority of the proposed values have a big question mark for me, I can't help but say No.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter"