Re: Draft of extensions format

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Alan DeKok wrote:

 Avi and I talked at the last IETF, and have had a number of follow-up
conversations since then.  I've just submitted the resulting document.

 At a high level, this document:
a) requests allocation of 6 "reserved" attributes

b) assigns 4 to a new format, which has one octet of "extended type"
  TYPE LENGTH Extended-Type Value...

c) assigns 2 to a new format which allows for more than 252 octets
  of data, using another octet for a "more" flag

Conceptually I like the extensions.

We are already set to run out of attribute space once. For that reason allocating additional space on the same order could possibly lead to the same problems in the future.

My recommendation is to use a single extensions attribute and make length two bytes. Rob a couple of bits from the 16-bit length field for fragment and possibly presence of an extra flags byte.

Finally reserve the lower region that overlaps with the current standard attribute space so that there are no conflicts with attribute id references. Thus sub attribute ID's would not be needed in this context.

regards,
Peter