RE: New Version Notification for draft-maglione-radext-ipv6-acct-extensions-00

Hi Alan,

>  I suppose you could distinguish traffic IPv4/v6 for a session by
> simply sending two different accounting streams.  e.g. one with an IPv4
> address, and another with an IPv6 address.  The Acct-Multi-Session-Id
> attribute would be good for this.

I'm not sure we could use the Acct-Multi-Session-Id for this purpose because according to the definition in RFC 2866, Acct-Multi-Session-Id links together multiple sessions with different Acct-Session-Id

"5.11  This attribute is a unique Accounting ID to make it easy to link
      together multiple related sessions in a log file.  Each session
      linked together would have a unique Acct-Session-Id but the same
      Acct-Multi-Session-Id."

While in the described scenario there is a single session that carries multiple traffic flows: IPv4 and IPv6.

In addition I see an operational issue in terms of efficiency in doubling the number of Accounting streams, because we usually have around 20-30 thousand active subscribers in a single NAS thus  sending the Accounting stream twice may affect the performance of the NAS.

Regards,
Roberta

> Wouldn't the IP address contained in the IP session be sufficient to create the context for the accounting message?

  I suppose you could distinguish traffic IPv4/v6 for a session by
simply sending two different accounting streams.  e.g. one with an IPv4
address, and another with an IPv6 address.  The Acct-Multi-Session-Id
attribute would be good for this.

  e.g. for IPv4, send:

Framed-IP-Address = ...
Acct-Session-Id = 1234
Acct-Multi-Session-Id = foo
(octets / packet counters)

  For IPv6, send:

Framed-IPv6-Address = ... (presuming draft-lourdelet is standardized)
Acct-Session-Id = 5678
Acct-Multi-Session-Id = foo
(octets / packet counters)

  IIRC, this functionality is already used to track different kinds of
user traffic in certain environments.  It's not widely supported in the
ISP / dial-up environment, but it shouldn't be hard to add.

  Leveraging the existing functionality of RADIUS would mean that this
document is unnecessary.

  Alan DeKok.

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.