Re: New Version Notification for draft-maglione-radext-ipv6-acct-extensions-00

Avi Lior wrote:
> Wouldn't the IP address contained in the IP session be sufficient to create the context for the accounting message?

  I suppose you could distinguish traffic IPv4/v6 for a session by
simply sending two different accounting streams.  e.g. one with an IPv4
address, and another with an IPv6 address.  The Acct-Multi-Session-Id
attribute would be good for this.

  e.g. for IPv4, send:

Framed-IP-Address = ...
Acct-Session-Id = 1234
Acct-Multi-Session-Id = foo
(octets / packet counters)

  For IPv6, send:

Framed-IPv6-Address = ... (presuming draft-lourdelet is standardized)
Acct-Session-Id = 5678
Acct-Multi-Session-Id = foo
(octets / packet counters)

  IIRC, this functionality is already used to track different kinds of
user traffic in certain environments.  It's not widely supported in the
ISP / dial-up environment, but it shouldn't be hard to add.

  Leveraging the existing functionality of RADIUS would mean that this
document is unnecessary.