RE: FW: New Version Notification for draft-maglione-radext-ipv6-acct-extensions-00

Hello Alan,
    thanks for your comments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan DeKok [mailto:aland@deployingradius.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:22 PM
To: Maglione Roberta
Cc: radiusext@ops.ietf.org; Alan Kavanagh; Suresh Krishnan; Varga Balázs
Subject: Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-maglione-radext-ipv6-acct-extensions-00

Maglione Roberta wrote:
> Hi All,
>      we have just posted a new draft about RADIUS attributes for IPv6 statistics:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-maglione-radext-ipv6-acct-extensions-00
> Your comments are welcome.

   [RFC2866]and [RFC2869] specify RADIUS attributes to be used for
   carrying statistics regarding how many packets/octets/Gigawords have
   been sent/received over a port while delivering the service.  These
   attributes are IPv4 specific.

 That isn't correct.  RFC 2866 has *no* references to IPv4.  I suggest
deleting it.

[RM] ok, we will delete it

   With the introduction of the IPv6 in
   broadband environment there is a need to be able to collect IPv4 and
   IPv6 statistics separately, thus new RADIUS attribute have to be
   defined.

 That might be true, and is a better problem statement than the previous
sentence.

[RM] This is the main intent of document

  However, there is a LOT of information that could potentially be
carried in RADIUS accounting.  There have been requests to track data
down to specific applications and/or ports.  These suggestions have a
number of problems in practice.  (Which I won't go into here.)

4. Operation

  This section repeats existing definitions of RADIUS accounting.  I
suggest deleting it.

5.
   This section defines six new RADIUS attributes for IPv6 statistics.
   These attributes correspond to the attributes Acct-Input-Octets,
   Acct-Output-Octets,Acct-Input-Packets, Acct-Output-Packets, Acct-
   Input-Gigawords and Acct-Output-Gigawords as defined in
   [RFC2866][RFC2869] that are defined for collecting combined
   statistics for IPv4 and IPv6 traffic.

  This last sentence directly contradicts the sentence in the
introduction.  It would be good to have the document internally consistent.

[RM] We will re-word this sentence to make it consistent

   Since service providers may
   like to collect statistics for IPv6 traffic separately from IPv4
   traffic, separate counters for IPv6 traffic are needed.

  Repetition of the justification is unnecessary, and can be deleted.

  It would be good to add a sentence or two on how these attributes
interact with the existing counters.  e.g. how IPv4-specific counters
can be derived.

[RM] ok we will add it

Thanks,
Roberta

  Alan DeKok.

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.