Re: NIM BoF

>>>>> DEBEAU Eric DvSI/SIReS/LAN writes:

DEBEAU> I think this is a good idea to take into account the work done
DEBEAU> within TINA based on ODP viewpoints. I did not follow the
DEBEAU> discussion on information and data, but I do believe that
DEBEAU> information maps on informational ODP viewpoint and data maps
DEBEAU> on Engineering viewpoint. An important work has also be
DEBEAU> undertaken within ITU-T SG4/Q.18 (series G.85x) for the
DEBEAU> transport network management. It should be useful to consider
DEBEAU> the model G.853.1 described following the ODP information
DEBEAU> viewpoint. This model is based on G.805 concepts and is very
DEBEAU> similar to the NRIM model developped by TINA.

Can someone who is more familiar with these models please try to
summarize what the impact of this work has been? Did these models:

 (a) reduce the costs of network device vendors
 (b) reduce the costs of network management vendors
 (c) improve the way how network operators provide network services
 (d) make technology and standardization processes more effective
 (e) increase the understanding of management problems
 (f) decrease the complexity of running netwoks
 (h) ....
 (z) make this a better world

I am serious about this here. Since there have been much work on
high-level information models, I think the IETF should be able to
assess the benefits of doing it before they rush to maek their own
experiences.

/js