Re: Methods in the NIM requirements

Walter,

I think that you are struggling because you continue to try
and pry apart attributes and methods, when both are needed
to properly define an object. I would encourage you to
reread the multiple responses from this list that agree with
that. For your convenience, here is a textbook definition of
an object:

  "An object class describes a group of objects
   with similar properties (attributes), common
   behavior (operations), common relationships
   to other objects, and common semantics."

Thus, your basic assumption of "...a class is defined with a
set of attributes that can be manipulated to affect
particular changes in the system that the object is meant to
model" is wrong. Furthermore, it is scary to think that just
by setting an attribute, all of the proper semantics that
are necessary to properly define object behavior magically
happen. It is equally scary to think that by setting
multiple attributes that collectively define a configuration
change, the same auto-magical behavior happens (not to
mention how the attributes were synchronized in the first
place).

Finally, your statement "...the method is the interface to
the object (and therefore the system)" is in general far too
limiting. Methods are defined as PART of an object
interface, not THE interface(s) of an object.

regards,
John