Re: RelaxNG examples

Hideki Okita wrote:
Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

As I said in the first mail, I agree that XSD is difficult
to read "directly".

Normally, to develop applications using XML data, developers
at first construct classes and generate XSD description from
these classes by some XSD generation tool.
In addition, they use GUI to draw classes and XSDs.

And, when they include and validate the XML schema like the
NETCONF protocol schema, they use integrated development
environment (IDE). They do not read directly the XML schema.

Which expression is best for the WG documents?
Do not we need to write drafts more visually?

I am not comfortable with the idea of standardizing text that
many people to not "directly" understand, and just trust that
all toolmakers will get everything exactly right and exactly
the same.  I don't use a GUI tool to write XSDs. Is the IETF
going to mandate that I use some tool, just like it is
effectively mandated that xml2rfc be used to produce an
Internet draft?

Best regards,

Hideki Okita

Andy

Andy Bierman wrote:
I do not rate XSD ease-of-understanding as good.
I rate it as awful, even unacceptable.
Human factors are very important here because humans, not machines,
need to understand the data models that are being proposed and
developed for standardization in IETF WGs.

IMO, most of the humans working in the NETCONF WG do not understand XSD
well enough to throw down hill 5 feet.  This is a significant
process problem, since it is difficult to reach consensus
on complex technical details if very few people actually
understand what they are reading.

A comment was made at the data modeling meeting that W3C is now
doing development in RelaxNGc, and converting it to XSD for normative
reference in the final standard.  How clueful.  How about if we do
the same thing?  We don't care if the conversion isn't pretty.
(Nothing about XSD is pretty, so it's a non-issue. ;-)

Note that there is no guarantee that people will understand
RelaxNG either, but most people find it more readable and writable
than XSD.

Andy

So I think we choice "xsd", for operator who can make netconf tools and
NMS programmers.
-------
   Yoshifumi Atarashi

Hideki Okita wrote:
From implementors' viewpoint,
RelaxNG as the schema is not a good choice.

Major development environments such as Java (Apache),
Visual Studio and others has no support for RelaxNG.

Surely RelaxNG make it easy to read "directly" the NETCONF schema.
However, finally, it can decrease the development efficiency.

I do not object to use RelaxNG as the optional means.
However, XSD should remain as the default schema in NETCONF drafts.

Best regards,

Hideki Okita
Hitachi, Ltd.