Developper feedback

Hi,

Some weeks ago, some people here were talking about an XPath-based edit-config.

Well, we are giving it a try (for fun) using the XUpdate specification which is based on XPath and allows to specify well-separated commands. I must admit that it is really easier to implement than the current edit-config for the following reasons: - there is no nested operations as it is in the current edit-config (eliminating all ambiguities at least in the developer mind), - there is a clear separation of "operation", "node selection method", and "new data", (eliminating the risk of confusing selection portion and new values to set) - command-oriented approach allows a better mapping with CLI, while being totally XML compliant. Also it makes it easier to instantiate a command design pattern with commit and rollback feature. (And even a macro-command pattern).
- You can easily specify the exact position to add a node in a list.
- this last item is specific to our implementation: module developers no longer have to deal with edit-config data parsing because commands generation is done at a lower level (operation). Until now, we couldn't do it because it seems that operations behaviour (merge, ...) depends on the data model.

I can not say more about performances (it is too early to tell), but I bet that the standard XPath implementations (used for selecting involved data) are faster than my implementation of the current edit-config parsing.

Regards,
Vincent
begin:vcard
fn:Vincent Cridlig
n:Cridlig;Vincent
org:LORIA - INRIA Lorraine, France;Madynes
adr:;;;Nancy;;;France
email;internet:cridligv@loria.fr
title:PhD Student
tel;work:+33 (0)3 83 59 20 48