Re: Issues for a bit more Discussion - Netconf Notifications

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
Hi

While the text in the transport mapping sections in the notification
draft is not earth shattering, it does seem necessary. My take on what
is necessary is currently defined in section 5.

For example, section 5.1 says

" Session establishment and two-way messages are based on the NETCONF
   over SSH transport mapping [NETCONF-SSH]

   One-way event messages are supported as follows: Once the session has
   been established and capabilities have been exchanged, the server may
   send complete XML documents to the NETCONF client containing
   notification elements.  No response is expected from the NETCONF
   client."

This is no different than what netconf-prot and netconf-ssh defines,
except for the bit about not expecting a response.  It seems to me
that the SSH document is the only one that doesn't need any special
text added to support notifications.

Doesn't the BEEP mapping need some text adding <notification> as
a top-level element?

Doesn't the SOAP mapping need lots of text (and hacks) to get
notifications to work?

We do not need to stick to the goal of "all features the same
on all transports", if current WG consensus has changed.
If we do not have sufficient interest and resources to produce
new transport documents for every mapping, then those mappings
should probably go away.  IMO, it doesn't matter if the text
is in the Notifications RFC or a bunch of other RFCs.
What matters is whether there is the consensus, expertise,
and resources to get the job done.

<tangent>
It's possible that we may end up in the long run with just SSH and TLS
transports, and eventually just TLS.  IMO, one feature of the NETCONF
protocol is the decoupling of the 4 layers.  As transport protocols
improve over time, new mappings can be defined without touching
the protocol spec.
</tangent>

Sharon

Andy