Re: NETCONF Instance Identifiers

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 12:06:38PM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:

> IMO we want the simplest approach possible.

Without specifying how you measure simplicity, your statement is
rather pointless.

> This does not impact <filter type="xpath"> in PDUs.
> It is a simple canonical format for identifying ONE instance of an element.
> It is not intended to be some sort of filtering tool.

A framework which allows to identify instances in some language X (and
uses this language for say error reporting and access control) and has
a required to implement a filter language which supports a filtering
language Y where the expressive power of Y is a true subset of X seems
a bit, lets say, surprising. Once again, I like X and I do believe Y
will be overcome anyway if netconf is going to be successful. (So I
better stop here since I believe the issue is pretty clear.)

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany