Re: action RPC I-D

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
In your 'restart' example, 'actionName' could just as well be
the actual RPC method name, and 'callingPoint' is really
just an RPC parameter, along with the entire 'parameters' sub-tree.

and
Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com> wrote:
I believe handling non-standard actions is easier if we define them
in the data model and not as separate operations. It particularly
helps intermediate SW to handle the actions. I agree with Andy that
the "end-user" of the action must always understand all new actions
whatever the form used to transfer them. However there may be, there
will be a number of intermediate SW blocks on the path.

I also agree that a data model effort should allow for operations to
be defined within the data model.  However, how this is mapped to
Netconf rpcs is a different question.  An operation could be mapped to
a generic <action> rpc, or to a new rpc for each action.

I agree with the "intermediate SW argument" though.

Why?
This seems like an implementation-specific detail to me.
Your access control model should be more robust than
simply allowing user X to do anything called <action>.
I don't see what benefit an intermediate SW component
can realize if an extra generic container is added to <rpc>.

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
IMO, the agent and manager MUST know the security and
other requirements a priori anyway (via a schema), so
some generic 'container' for actions does not provide any
real value -- just extra XML.

We could apply this argument to e.g. edit-config - why is edit-config
needed at all?  Vendors could define their own <edit-bla-bla> rpcs, and
the <target> could have been some parameter (possibly different
paramtere names all the time) in <edit-bla-bla>.

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
How do you manage the allocation of action names?

Without a <action> wrapper each operation name would have to be unique
per namespace.  With an <action> rpc, the operation could be

This is not true.
The WG or any vendor could put multiple elements in the
same namespace, just as we have <edit-config> and <copy-config>
in the same namespace now.

identified with an "OID" and the action name, which could be a subtree
expression or a XPath expression (such as
/interfaces/[ifIndex="2"]/reset).  This means that the action name
would be unique per "object".  The callping-point parameter would not
be needed in this case either.

Why should action RPCs be identified differently than other RPCs?
This seems to create complexity, not reduce it.

/martin

Andy