From: Andy Bierman [mailto:ietf@andybierman.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:46 AM
To: Hector Trevino (htrevino)
Cc: netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: interim meeting - clarifications

Hector Trevino (htrevino) wrote:
Andy, From meeting minutes

5.4) Filtering

The use of POSIX regular expressions is planned for this

feature.  There are still a lot of details that need to

be written down before an interoperable filtering

mechanism (i.e., same NETCONF behavior across agents)

is fully defined.

It was noted that the function library of XPATH 2.0 supports

regular expressions in the function library. XPATH 1.0 does

not have something like that.

The authors will propose some text in the next revision of

the Notifications I-D.

Question: The current notifications draft uses the same filtering mechanism as those identified in the netconf protocol doc.
Wouldn't it
be more appropriate to add this information (i.e. filtering using XPATH 2.0 reg exp) to the main protocol document after it
becomes an
RFC? By doing this we maintain the two docs in sync wrt
filtering features.
thanks

IMO, it would be more appropriate to put this new filtering in a separate document, with its own capability. The base protocol doesn't need to change to add a new capability.

Hector Trevino
Andy