Re: Reload

Balazs Lengyel wrote:
For us the main point is to allow the definition of new <exec>s with minimum modification to the management SW.

Yes the full value of <exec> relies on data modeling. You really gain a lot only if you have something like this in place (an excerpt from our DTD that defines our modeling language like SMI)

<!ELEMENT action (description, returnType, parameter*, raisesException*)>
<!ATTLIST action name CDATA #REQUIRED>

<!ELEMENT exception description,name, exceptionParameter*)>

You have to define the number of parameters and for each parameter you have to define the exact type. This allows our management system to handle new actions (<exec>s) based on the data model without modification.

I know that netconf does not have (yet) a data model in place, but I could think about a two stage introduction of this feature. 1) define a standard <exec> with opaque parameters to allow users who already have a proprietary data model (actually everyone) to easily implement the function

What are the implementation requirements?
It seems like the one commonality is that the node
used to "wrapper" the proprietary command is called 'exec'.

IMO, this is not worth standardizing.
In any event, this is not a chartered work item,
and a written proposal would have to fly a lot
further than "wrapper named exec" to get chartered.

2) define the necessary data model to gain the full value

regards Balazs

Andy