Re: Reload

Hi,

The <rpc> method itself can be a reload operation:

<rpc message-id="101" xmlns="netconf-blah">
   <reload xmlns="example.com/blah"/>
</rpc>

There is no value in a standard <exec> operation
using proprietary CLI commands.

It justs adds a layer of XML with no real purpose.

The reload operation is actually much harder to standardize
than it appears.  In any case, this is a data model issue,
and out of current WG scope.

Andy

I have been reading the NETCONF standard and think you people have done=
 a=20
great job!  As I was reading, I thought of a question for which I haven=
't=20
found an answer.  (I did find some posts that mentioned 'operational'=20=

commands when talking about what the WG should work on next---notificat=
ions,=20
or whatever---I hope my question doesn't just re-kindle an unrelated=20=

discussion topic and my question is left un-answered!)  Please help me=20=

understand how this use case should work:

There are commands in network devices, like "sdm prefer routing" on a C=
isco=20
3750, that require a reload.  However, I didn't see any built-in operat=
ion=20
for rebooting a device.  How should this interaction with a device, whe=
n the=20
configuration option requires a reboot, work using NETCONF=3F

I thought of a few options:

0. NETCONF does only configuration--operational commands like "reload" =
are=20
outside the scope.

1. Ooops, we forgot about reload (not likely!) or just haven't got to i=
t=20
yet.

2. It's left to the data model--devices can expose a configuration elem=
ent=20
that results in a reload.  Something like:

<rpc message-id=3D"101" xmlns=3D"urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.=
0">
   <edit-config>
      <target>
         <running/>
      </target>
      <config>
         <cli xmlns=3D=94http://example.com/schema/1.0/config/=94>
            reload
         </cli>
      </config>
   </edit-config>
</rpc>

The device would respond with a reply of <ok/>, close the NETCONF=20
connection, and then reload.  (After typing this in, it seems really ho=
key.)

3. A device manufacturer can add a capability that adds a new operation=
. =20
Something like this:

<hello xmlns=3D"urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
  <capabilities>
    <capability>
      urn:ietf:params:netconf:base:1.0
    </capability>
    <capability>
      http:/example.com/schema/1.0/reload
    </capability>
  </capabilities>
  <session-id>4</session-id>
</hello>

And then you could send the device a NETCONF rpc with this new "reload"=
=20
operation when required.  The rpc would look like this:

<rpc message-id=3D"102" xmlns=3D"urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.=
0">
   <reload/>
</rpc>

The device would respond with a reply of <ok/>, close the NETCONF=20
connection, and then reload.  (If NETCONF doesn't include a native "rel=
oad"=20
operation, then this makes the most sense---to me anyway!)

4. <your idea here...>

How should it work=3F

Thanks!

Henry