Re: Relax NG use in RAI

Joel M. Halpern wrote:
I don't object to letting working groups try using relaxNG. It appears to have a number of useful properties. However, given the weak tool support available, as compared with XML Schema, I would be reluctant to see us require working groups to work that way. I realize that this means that for now each working group has to have the debate, but I do not see a practical alternative.

This has been the rationale all along,
and I'm not trying to go against it, but
RelaxNG can be converted to XSD with free tools.

IMO, none of the "XML languages" -- even RelaxNG Compact -- has
the right mix of data modeling constructs and user-friendliness.
SML is even harder to read than XSD -- a step backward in that
dept., but a step forward in others.

A workable solution is probably going to mean a powerful new
DM language that has nested indexed tables and other powerful
DM mechanisms, but is super easy to read and write by humans.
This high level language can then be automatically translated
to XSD using free tools. RelaxNG-NG.  (But I call it NCX.)

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

Andy