Re: our first CLR

Balazs Lengyel wrote:
I am fighting to be able to send late replies to operations. The most likely method to do this will be a notification that refers to the original operation. To be able to refer to it we need the sessionId and the messageId. So Ericsson is in an immediate need of the messageId.

But you can put any attribute you want in the <rpc> header and it
will get returned to you.  There's no point in the agent blindly
rejecting a PDU just because this 'message-id' attribute is missing.

Balazs

Andy

Andy Bierman wrote:
Hi,

Didn't anybody notice that the protocol spec makes a big
deal about a mandatory message-id (and I made a big deal
about limiting its length), but it isn't used anywhere
in the document in a normative manner?

Nope.  We took out the only operation that depended on
the message-id attribute a couple years ago.
The agent totally ignores this attribute except to
check if needs to generate an error if it is missing.

If that isn't the essence of a Crappy Little Rule,
I don't know what is.  (I know, we may need the
message-id someday, but not now.)

Andy