Re: XCAP to Proposed Standard

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
The XML Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-xcap-11.txt
developped in the simple WG is on the agenda of the 7/6 IESG telechat.

I looked this document over, which is not a review of any sort,
but I have a few questions:

1) Is this intended only for use with SIP?

2) Is there any access control model for securing data?
   (What is the security model?)

3) Is there a persistence model for data?
   (IMO there are problems with trying to abstract a NE device
    configuration as an XML document, and this is one of them)

4) The examples would be easier to read if the XML was pretty-printed.

5) In a general sense there is clearly overlap between NETCONF and XCAP.
   I think NETCONF tries to be more content and transport independent,
   and the RPC-based architecture is more suited to standard and vendor
   "specialized RPC" extensions, which provide a more natural
   programming paradigm than a model based on XML document manipulation.

Andy

2.1.2 Returning Item Area Date RAI The Extensible Markup Language (XML) Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP) (Proposed Standard) - 1 of 1 draft-ietf-simple-xcap-11.txt [Open Web Ballot] Note: Note that this document was pulled from the RFC Editor queue and is returning with some changes, which are recorded in the tracker. Token: Jon Peterson Please let me know if there any questions or concerns until Wednesday 7/5 COB.
Dan