Re: Tweeks to draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 08:37:34AM +0200, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> I have made two other slight modification to the diagram:
>
> 1. I have removed the term "traditional", because that sounds like
>    it implies that only RFC 3164 syslog is supported. As far as I see
>    it, netconf-syslog can support any flavor of syslog, including the
>    upcoming standards.
>
> 2. I have added SYSLOG delivery on the receiving side of the
>    syslog daemon.
>
>                                    delivery
>        +----+              ------->via syslog
>        | c1 |---+         /        protocol
>        +----+   |    +------+
>        +----+   |    |      |
>        | c2 |   +--->|syslog|  netconf    +-------+     +-------+
>        +----+   |    |daemon|  session    |netconf|<--->|netconf|
>         ...     |    |      | ----------> |server |     |client |
>        System   |    +------+  delivery   +-------+     +-------+
>       Components|        |                  //
>         ...     |        |                 //
>        +----+   |        |       (------------)
>        | cn |---+        |       (notification)
>        +----+   |        +-----> (  logging   )
>                 |                (  service   )
>   delivery      |                (------------)
>   via syslog ---+
>   protocol

I do not understand what "netconf session delivery" means. For me, a
netconf session exists between a netconf server and a netconf client.
It is also unclear what the double lines // mean. If the figure is
meant to indicate the syslog data flow, then also the double arrow
between netconf server and netconf client is wrong. If the arrows are
supposed to mean something else, I think a legend is required to
discuss the figure. Well, a legend is required in any case.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany