Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Hi,

I discussed this briefly with Andy, and it seems the <rpc-reply> in
section 3.2.2 is wrong.  It has to be wrapped in a <data> element in
order to be valid NETCONF.  I.e.

       <rpc-reply xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
         <data>
           <syslog-events xmlns="http://ietf.org/netconf/syslog/1.0"/>
             <syslog>
               Jun 11 21:34:52  dent chassisd[2971]:
                 CHASSISD_IFDEV_DETACH_ALL_PSEUDO:
                   ifdev_detach(pseudo devices: all)
             </syslog>
           </syslog-event>
         </data>
       </rpc-reply>

Yes -- This is a feature, not a bug.

All netconf RPC requests share the same basic format:

 <rpc> element in the netconf NS
   <method> and optional parameters in the netconf NS for standard
            operations, and any different NS for a vendor extension
 </rpc>

All netconf RPC replies follow 1 of 2 basic formats:

 <rpc-reply> element in the netconf NS
   <ok/> element in the netconf  NS
 </rpc-reply>

OR

 <rpc-reply> element in the netconf NS
   <rpc-error>*    - Zero or more <rpc-error> elements in the netconf  NS
   <data>?         - Zero or one <data> element in the netconf NS, which
                     can contain zero or more XML elements from any namespace,
                     or no namespace at all.
 </rpc-reply>

<rant>
Just because lots of vendor CLI commands are unorganized,
I mean, ad-hoc, does not mean that IETF standards should
be the same way.

In a standard, consistency and interoperability are far more
important than saving the 13 bytes on the wire that the <data>
element represents.
</rant>

/martin

Andy