Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Phil Shafer <phil@juniper.net> wrote:
> I've finally got an initial version of the draft for a netconf
> capability that makes syslog data available over long-lived RPCs.

I have read this well-written draft, and I have a few comments.

  o  The <event> parameter is defined as a regexp which must match the
     name of the syslog event.  What is the name of a syslog event?
     From the examples it looks like it might be the MSGID defined in
     draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-17.txt?

  o  In 3.2.1, you write

       supported if the requested stream is in the "structured-data"
       format.

     Why is priority supported only for structured-data?

  o  Is it correct to assume that a stream is fully defined by the
     parameters in the <stream> element?  If so, should there really
     be a new rpc operation <get-syslog-streams>?  You also write that
     the stream definitions may be part of the configuration.  Thus,
     shouldn't the stream definitions be available by using <get> or
     <get-config> instead?

  o  You use the terms "recorded events" and "historical data".  I
     assume they mean the same thing?

  o  For <text-pattern>, does it match the MSG part of a
     "structured-data" event, or the entire formatted event?

  o  The examples in 3.2.2.1 are supposed to show the same events in
     different formats, but they are not.  (nit: the 'syslog-events'
     element is closed prematurely in these examples (same thing for
     get-syslog-event in 3.2.1.2 as well)).

/martin