Re: FYI: IPFIX XML work

Title: Re: FYI: IPFIX XML work
Andy,

I agree with the concerns you express below, but I think it’s probably worthwhile pointing out that the IPFIX draft is primarily targeted to providing a machine readable definition of what already exists in the underlying netflow records and is not defining any XML data types, simple or otherwise.

You will see from Appendix A of the draft that the data types in the “field” elements go no further than high-level enum tags.

While the commonality you seek for XML schemas should be pursued, I don’t see its direct relevance to the IPFIX draft you refer to, so I see no action that needs to be pushed on the IPFIX WG until they decide to adopt some form of XML schema based approach to both describing and encoding the data they refer to.

Cheers,

Einar

On 24/5/06 17:45, "Andy Bierman" <ietf@andybierman.com> scribbled:

Hi,

I think you should read Appendix A of the IPFIX Info Model draft:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfix-info-11.txt

IMO, it would be a *really* bad idea for every std NM protocol with
DM info (snmp, syslog, ipfix, netconf, ?) to invent their own
DM language, module & life-cycle system, access control model,
core info model, naming model, and on and on...

Dan, I think you should force the IPFIX WG to break out (at least)
the core set of 'XML Simple Types' from this document
and let all the OPS-NM WGs review it and add/change it.
Then it should be published as a PS RFC, and all XML DM work
in the IETF must use those data types, if they apply.

By the time one figures out the "free-for-all" approach doesn't work,
it is usually too late to fix it.

Andy