Re: example notification seems redundant

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
hi

There are really then three different use cases at work here

1) I am the originator of the request and I would like some concise
indication that things worked out OK in the end for some reason or other

We have <rpc-reply> for this already.

2) I am creating an audit log and need to know exactly what was done and
by whom and how

This is a use case for a traditional dedicated notification
generator -> receiver application.

3) I am a user of the configuration information and need to know what
information has been changed. This covers the cases of configuration
mirroring, configuration applications and people just interested in the
device inventory for whatever reason.

There are several ways to do this already, such as
retrieving the configuration before the change and
again after the configuration.  The application
making the changes should also know, otherwise
it might carelessly clobber existing config data.

However, this still seems like a use case for the
traditional centralized notification service, not a
per-session model.

I am in favor of a netconf capability for notifications,
which means delivery of content-independent notifications
on a session (mandatory: dedicated; optional: mixed).

The syslog WG is going to have to be responsible for
standardizing syslog content, not the netconf WG.
Beyond a standard content type wrapper for <syslog-text>, and
maybe <syslog-xml>, I don't believe the netconf WG
is the right place to work on syslog.

The example content in the appendixes cover the second and the third
cases. I believe the message content is different for the three use
cases.

What page #s?

Sharon

Andy