Re: requirement: agent initiated session support

I see the replay capability as an independent topic from subscription based notifications.

Also for us one use case is managing a relatively small number < 50 of big nodes where we do not want to loose any notifications. In this case replay is really useful. We already have it in an SNMP based system.

Still when managing hundreds or thousands of nodes replay might not be as useful.
If you object to replay I can live without it.

Balazs

Andy Bierman wrote:
Balazs Lengyel wrote:
I think having local copies is a good idea. We could think about the use case when the node is already running and the manager is switched on. This could follow a manager restart or a power outage where the agent comes up faster. The same could be useful if there is a trouble with the connection between the node and the manager.

In this case some notifications are lost anyway. It would be nice to be able to get these once the manager is up and running. This would naturally complicate the agent somewhat, so one has to decide if it is worth the effort.

Worth the effort... hmmm...

First, there will be different size ring buffers on each agent.
The manager will not have as long as it wants to get all the
startup notifications.  It won't know how long it has
to finish hunting down all the agents and retrieving
their notifications (this sounds a lot more like
dumb polling that notification-driven NM.)

IMO, this is clearly a way to add more complexity to
deal with an already inappropriately complex design.
Just keep piling on complexity until you get it to work.

I don't think the "manager-subscribe" model is appropriate
for general notification management at all.  It is somewhat
convenient (in some contrived cases) for a manager to receive
the supposedly related notifications immediately following an
RPC operation on the same session.  This is only true if the
NMS has no need to centrally process notifications at all.

I would like to know if there are any products used by operators
that manage notifications with a client-subscribe, client-provides
all parameters architecture.  I doubt it.  Even the publish/subscribe
models use SW and NV-config on the agent so it knows what events to
publish.

Are there Cisco or Nortel products that work as described
in the Notifications draft?  If so, how do operators use
it and in what kind of relative numbers (compared to more
traditional notification approaches).

Balazs

Andy

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
In the subscribe model, none of the agents can send any notifications
until a manager connects to them and asks for notifications. The startup
notifications are critical to have, to check for any
config/image/HW mismatches that occurred during boot-up.

We do this with our accounting-profiles RPC (which I'm planning on
mimicing for syslog data) with a combination of the <realtime/>
flag and the <since>timestamp</since argument.  The system makes
local copies of accounting records and can serve them up with a
starting window, in realtime, or as a combination, where the records
since the given timestamp are passed along and then the RPC switches
to realtime.

  <rpc>  <!-- from memory; check docs for accurate details -->
    <get-accounting-records>
      <since>YYYY-MM-DD.HH:MM:SS</since>
      <realtime/>
    </get-accounting-records>
  </rpc>

Thanks,
 Phil

Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: Balazs.Lengyel@ericsson.com