From: Andy Bierman [mailto:ietf@andybierman.com]
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 11:13 AM
To: Phil Shafer
Cc: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:ZZ00:EXCH]; Netconf (E-mail)
Subject: Re: requirement: agent initiated session support

Phil Shafer wrote:
> Andy Bierman writes:
>> In the subscribe model, none of the agents can send any notifications

>> until a manager connects to them and asks for notifications.  The
>> startup notifications are critical to have, to check for any
>> config/image/HW mismatches that occurred during boot-up.
>
> We do this with our accounting-profiles RPC (which I'm planning on
> mimicing for syslog data) with a combination of the <realtime/> flag
> and the <since>timestamp</since argument.  The system makes local
> copies of accounting records and can serve them up with a starting
> window, in realtime, or as a combination, where the records since the
> given timestamp are passed along and then the RPC switches to
> realtime.
>
>   <rpc>  <!-- from memory; check docs for accurate details -->
>     <get-accounting-records>
>       <since>YYYY-MM-DD.HH:MM:SS</since>
>       <realtime/>
>     </get-accounting-records>
>   </rpc>

I like this!  (Reminds me of RMON TimeFilter ;-)

I assume there are some config parameters
to setup logging somewhere else.  If <realtime/> is
missing then the <rpc> finishes when all saved notifications have been
delivered. If present, then the <rpc> never finishes, and (in this
example) new notifications may be interleaved with saved notifications,
so the manager needs to check the timestamp as usual.

What about making it a generic RPC:

  <rpc>
    <get-log-records>
       <type>accounting</type>    <!-- or syslog or whatever -->
       <since>YYYY-MM-DD.HH:MM:SS</since>
       <realtime/>
    </get-log-records>
  </rpc>