Re: Why are we doing netconf?

Hi Dan,

> It also was intended to meet the needs of the operators as they were
> scanned by 2001-2002. They told us then that they can leave well with
> the alarms and performance monitoring mechanisms in SNMP, but consider
> configuration by SNMP a dead horse.

Actually, for fault management management and alarms some consider SNMP
a dead horse.  Most enterprises in particular prefer SYSLOG and ASCII.
SPs say they like SNMP but then they use tools like Netcool/CIC, and so
SYSLOG does very well for them as well.  In the end I think we'd find
agreement between the two groups that standardized events should tail
differentiation.

I also think one of the reasons they considered SNMP a dead horse was
lousy integration with their existing AAA.  ISMS may help this.

Eliot