Re: Interim attendance survey

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
hi

We have historically not had much luck with requirements documents
(unless killing a working group can be considered success) or
requirements sections which is why they were not included in the draft.
If we wanted to start documenting requirements in parallel with
developing the notifications draft, that could potentially be
productive.

I believe that the list of requirements and a realistic assessment of
the likelihood of successfully updating legacy solutions (documents and
deployments) to meet those requirements (including alignment with
Netconf content) will support the general direction we are taking. If
people need to do the math on that and it helps get us more on the same
page, then that would be good.

Note though that I know of at least three different vendors that now
have non-interoperable solutions for doing notifications in Netconf. I'm
not sure how that serves the industry.

I'm not sure who's pushing standardizing notification content as our
next priority, but when I look at what to do after standardizing on the
messaging format (the goal of the current draft), access control and
*how* to specify content are pretty high up there for me.

We do requirements documents when we deadlock on the solution.
Like now.  IMO, the WG opinions are all over the map.  I cannot
declare WG consensus for or against anything so far.
If we can't agree on the requirements, then the work should
be shut down.

As Dan just pointed out, there needs to be many more reviews
of the draft, work on requirements, and even people willing to do
implementations in order for us to make progress.

We were able to make NETCONF happen because it started as
XMLCONF, which started as Junoscript.  Without operators
saying they liked Junoscript and wanted us to standardize
it, we wouldn't be talking about notifications for netconf today.

This time we seem to be deep in the sandbox instead.

Sharon

Andy