Re: (unofficial issue 2) Subscription versus never-ending command

Hi -

I prefer a subscription-based approach.

However, I dislike the specific subscription approach proposed.
I would prefer a more general approach that separated the
subscription supervision from the data transfer.  All of the
"cons" of the subscription-based proposal in Sharon's summary
are consequences of requiring the notification flow to happen on
the same connection as was used to create the subscription.

An approach in which a subscription object is treated like any other
chuck of configuration data would not suffer from those problems.
This is one of the few things that CMIP and SNMP do in similar ways.
I think binding a subscription to a specific connection, rather than to
the subscriber's identity, would be an architectural mistake.

Randy