Re: Notification Message Processing Model

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
  An active NETCONF session has two modes:

This introduces modality into the netconf session, which
is increasing the complexity.

Instead, we could just have a simple RPC that is long-lived:

C:  <rpc ...>
C:    <get-syslog-notifications>
C:      <level>warning</level>
C:    </get-syslog-notifications>
C:  </rpc>

The server responds with an <rpc-reply> containing an
unending series of notifications which match the criteria from
the <get-syslog-notifications> RPC:

S:  <rpc-reply ...>
S:    <notification> ... data for one notification ... </notification>
S:    <notification> ... data for another notification ... </notification>
S:    <notification> ... data for yet another notification ... </notification>
S:    <notification> ... data for one more notification ... </notification>

The notifications would continue until the channel is closed.  Or
until we resurrect the <abort/> mechanism ;^)

This is simple, direct, and uses the existing netconf framework.
If interleaving is a lose-lose, this is a win-win.

The objection to this approach in the WG meeting was that off-the-shelf validation tools
will not be able to work because they will be waiting for the </rpc-reply>
before finishing the validation.  Hence the validation phase never ends.

I love your approach.
It would be simple for me to implement.
I'm not using off-the-shelf validation tools though.

Thanks,
 Phil

Andy