Re: Notification Message Processing Model

Shane Kerr wrote:

Andy Bierman wrote:
I am trying to understand how the protocol will have
to be modified to support notifications and RPCs on
the same channel-less connection.

Rather than go into specific details, I would rather say that:

- - Putting notifications and RPCs on the same channel adds complexity to
the server.

- - It also adds complexity to the client (but really only to clients that
want it).

- - It would be nice to live without the complexity if we can.

I *think* this is pretty much what Andy Bierman has been saying.

Exactly.
I've been taught the whole art of Engineering is
having just enough complexity, but no more.
(A concept totally foreign to the IETF.)

As I see it, a client can usually multiplex two channels into one very
easily. Can someone explain a case where this is not true? (One case
presented in the working group where this may not be true is for clients
that are managing tens of thousands of devices. However, I think both
SSH and BEEP allow multiple channels on a single TCP connection, so we
should probably consider the "massive management" case a non-problem.)

Also, can someone give a specific example where putting notification and
RPCs on the same channel would be simpler than creating a new channel?

Apologies if this has already been given and I missed it!

No -- you missed nothing.
I have thought about it as much as I can.
I can't come up with any use cases in which a robust
event management system would be simpler because
operations and notifications were mixed on the same channel.

I have only found bad things that can happen to your OPS
if you did this.  No real benefits at all.  I'd love to hear
why management stations need this feature.

- --
Shane

Andy