Re: use of netconf to configure Unix systems

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 01:39:42PM -0800, Randy Presuhn wrote:
I'm intrigued by the concern that netconf should be assigned a Unix
privileged port.  Does this mean that someone has or is developing a
netconf data model to configure Unix hosts or applications?  Are
there other reasons for running a netconf server on a Unix host?

Unix is increasingly used on embedded devices and this is where I can
see a need to deploy netconf. Host systems may follow, but I doubt
deployment will start from that type of systems since host systems
already allow me to put whatever I want there to solve my
configuration problem (e.g. cfengine or other systems).

I agree with you mostly.

In my email that started this discussion, I really meant network services
that happen to be running on a linux box instead of a traditional NE box.
I never meant user applications.  I certainly never meant Windows.

If I am using a CM system for the NE boxes that manages a particular
service, then I would rather have it support the occasional linux box
as well, rather than use an entirely separate CM system for that platform.

/js

Andy