From: Phil Shafer [mailto:phil@juniper.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 00:15
To: Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Cc: 'Margaret Wasserman (E-mail)'; Andy Bierman (E-mail); 'Netconf
(E-mail)'; iana-drafts@icann.org; IANA
Subject: Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-netconf-ssh-05.txt to Proposed
Standar d [I06-051127-0011]

The only reason to have it <1024 is to keep unix users from running
it as non-root.  While this is fairly weak security, it does prevent
untrusted users on trusted hosts (whose host-key your client likes)
from starting a process that mimics the real ssh-based netconf daemon
and skims whatever information it can.  Then again, I guess you'd
need to be root to have the private version of the host key, so
it's not really an issue.

So IMHO it doesn't matter.

Thanks,
 Phil

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" writes:
I was trying to find the answer to this IANA quesion,
and I cannot find it. Did we (WG) decide what we want?

I need to know BEFORE the IESG telechat (11:30 EST) tomorrow
(thursday)
if possible.

Bert