Re: url clarification

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Hi,

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Martin Bjorklund wrote:
It says (8.8.5.1) that <url> must be accepted as an alternative to
<config>, i.e. as the "source" of the edit-config command.  And it
must be a local file (for some reason).  The <target> parameter cannot
be an url.

oops -- you're right.

So the text is right and the XSD is wrong.
The "rpcOperationTargetType" needs to be changed
to "configNameType" for edit-config, lock, and unlock.
End of problem.

I still think that allowing a url as "source" to <edit-config> is a
problem, or at least quite limited.  If it has to be a local file (as
it is now), this file must be created somehow.  D.1.2 shows an example
where the file is created by doing a <copy-config> to the file.  Then
in D.1.5 the file is used in <edit-config>.  This is a "type-mismatch"
problem.  The <config> parameter of <copy-config> is a "complete
configuration datastore", but the <config> parameter of <edit-config>
is not - it's "all or part" of a configuration.

I disagree.
This is in there by design to support configuration servers.
For example:

 <edit-config>
   <default-operation>none</default-operation>
   <test-option>test-then-set</test-option>
   <error-option>rollback-on-error</error-option>
   <url>https://example.com/config/myConfig.xml</url>
 </edit-config>

*Note to Rob!!*
There is a bug in the example at the top of page 92 in prot-11.

It shows <url> being used the way it is in every other parameter,
as a child node instead of a replacement node.

 <edit-config>
   <config>
       <url>https://example.com/config/myConfig.xml</url>
   </config>
 </edit-config>

So maybe copy-config to a file is just a dumb verbatim copy?

Yes and No -- it depends on the URL scheme and the data models involved.
I don't think the spec needs to get too detailed here.  There is already
plenty of documentation on URL schemes.

Then in D.1.3, the incoming file (the "all or part" of a
configuration), is validated.  Is this supposed to work?  I.e. is
validate really supposed to validate anything that can be sent to
<edit-config>?

Yes -- the <config> element just provides the config source
and the validate (via edit-config test-then-set) happens after
the config input is received.

/martin

Andy