Re: url clarification

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Did we ever resolve all the issues here? (A: no)

Here are the operations that use rpcOperationTargetType:

  operation            text-allows-url     notes
  edit-config                N               1
  copy-config                Y               2
  delete-config              Y               3
  lock                       N               4
  unlock                     N               4
[...]

Summary Issues:

A) Which is right: The text or the XSD?
   Should the edit-config, lock, and unlock XSD definitions change from
   rpcOperationTargetType to configNameType?  This will explicitly
   disallow URL as <target> in these operations.
I think the text makes more sense than the XSD.
I can see it both ways.
One one hand, I sure don't want to make it mandatory
for the :url capability to include <url> as a target of edit-config.
On the other, I don't want to prohibit it without reason either.

Section 8.8.5 is the critical text here.
Taken literally, this section says that <url> as
a target for <edit-config> must be supported,
but the target should be a local file.

It says (8.8.5.1) that <url> must be accepted as an alternative to
<config>, i.e. as the "source" of the edit-config command.  And it
must be a local file (for some reason).  The <target> parameter cannot
be an url.

oops -- you're right.

So the text is right and the XSD is wrong.
The "rpcOperationTargetType" needs to be changed
to "configNameType" for edit-config, lock, and unlock.
End of problem.

/martin

Andy