Re: Capabilities and MIBs

David B Harrington wrote:
Hi,

Are you referring to SNMP (SMIv1 or v2) MIBs, or are you talking about
data models designed for use with netconf?

I think it is important to make the distinction between (SNMP) MIBs
and netconf data models.

Yes please.
Some of us want to experiment with data modeling ideas
without being constrained by SNMP or SMI.

The original question was about advertising the data models that
a NETCONF agent supports.  If you want to call them NETCONF MIBs,
I don't care.  But they are not SNMP MIBs.

It was always the intent that the agent would advertise the namespace URI
of each data model it supports.  However, if you don't use a different
namespace for each data model, then this won't work.  You have to
list modules by name and version, as suggested.  IMO, you need to
also advertise the namespace used for each module.

In order for XML to work correctly, and distinguish
(in a NETCONF PDU) between the <blah> element in the FOO-MODULE
and the one defined in the BAR-MODULE, some mechanism like namespaces
is needed. This is a standard, and we have to prevent cross-organization naming
collisions under the <config> element.

David Harrington
dbharrington@comcast.net

Andy