XML Namespace labels (was Re: How should we deal with experimental netconf work?)

Phil Shafer wrote:

Andy Bierman writes:
I thought I was the only one who hated namespaces. ;-)

Namespaces are a pain.  Anyone who says otherwise is selling
something.

Speaking of which, how are you handling this special case problem:

The RPC processing mandates that all the attributes in <rpc> are
returned in <rpc-reply>.  This includes all the xmlns declarations.

Inside data models, the label for a given namespace can change (over and over) with yet more xmlns declarations.
If an error occurs, and a QName needs to be returned in <error-info>,
do you reuse the labels forced in the <rpc-reply> or create a new xmlns
declaration with the label used in the QName? And if that label is
already in use for a different namespace (in the <rpc> element)? Do you
use the label from the xmlns in the original <rpc> element?

Since the URIs are the same, all SW is expected to figure out that different
labels map to the same NS, and applications should handle it no matter what.

XML is so fun...

Thanks,
Phil

Andy