RE: How should we deal with experimental netconf work?

HI,

To me, it looks like you are oversimplifying the issue.
That is, it appears that you are turning this into a
development tools issue. And note, many tools do make
this a trival operation.

However, from my view, it is a deployment and versioning
issue. That is, SNMP agents and SNMP management applications
are in all but the most trivial case developed independantly
using different developers with different timelines, and
different motivations. The motivators is key. A device
vendor supports SNMP agents in their devices so that
both their management apps can manage the device and
so that management apps developed by other can manage
the device. These others include generic SNMP tools
such as MIB browsers, and poller/reporters (such as
MRTG), and application specific tools (such as AdventNet's
WiFi manager
(http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/wifi-manager/index.html))

However, if the company is not an independent
network management application developer, then there is
little motivation to add support for devices for
other companies.

Connecting the dots....
An SNMP agent is developed that uses an experimental or
proprietary MIB objects.
An matching management app (using those objects) is developed.
Both the device and app are fielded and provide
some useful functionality.

Now, the experimental MIB objects are re-specified in a standards
track document with the OIDs changed (plus some possible changes).

There may be some motivation for the agent to be updated
to support both the old and new objects (so that device
can be managed by 3rd party management apps), but there is
little motivation for the management app to be updated.
Depending on scope of the "small changes" that are done
in addition to the OID changes, the cost might be quite
high. Depending on the SNMP agent technology (and possibly
tool kit), it might be expensive from the code size
to support both old and new OIDs for the objects.

I see these same motivations and costs with XML encoded
data. So, I believe it will continue to be an issue of
fielding a product, and then applying an incompatable
change without any delivered benefit.

Regards,
/david t. perkins