From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Martin Bjorklund
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:35 PM
To: ietf@andybierman.com
Cc: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:ZZ00:EXCH]; netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Notification architecture

Hi,

This has probably been discussed before, and the answer might be
obvious, but I can't find anything in the archives.  I'd like to know
why a new notification framework is needed?  Is it simply that we need
to be able to send larger messages than what syslog can do?  Or is it
because the content of the notifications will be tightly coupled to the
ordinary netconf content, and therefore it's easier to use a new scheme
than trying to map the netconf model to syslog?  Or something else?

I think the most important question then is the session model - if the
manager should set up the session and keep it open or if the agent
should establish the session when needed.  If the manager is supposed to
keep it open, how well does that scale?  1000 sessions?  10000?

/martin