Re: [802.1] MIB definitions for Link Aggregation

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Michael Kirkham wrote:
> Something else I noticed that is possibly wrong with this MIB, from
> running it through our compiler:
>
> dot3adTablesLastChangedGroup OBJECT-GROUP
>     OBJECTS {
>         dot3adTablesLastChanged
>     }
>     STATUS   current
>     DESCRIPTION
>         "A collection of objects providing information about the
>         time of changes to the configuration of aggregations and
>         their ports."
> ::= { dot3adAggGroup 6 }
>
> This was probably intended to be { dot3adAggGroups 6 } as with the other
> groups defined within the module.  Probably a typo, but also a lot of
> compilers will complain about (and some will be unable to work with) the
> fact that a group is defined subordinate to another group.
>
> This module appears to have been last updated 3 years ago, and not being
> familiar with it I don't know if this is a "known" thing and people have
> implemented it as dot3adAggGroups.6 or if (likely) it's stuck the way it
> is due to revision rules (which would require a different descriptor for
> the group if fixed, as well as new descriptors and OIDs for any compliance
> statements that reference the group).  I've copied the listed contact for
> the MIB so they are aware of the 802dot3 issue as well as this item, if
> they're not already, and can make any changes they deem appropriate.

If no objects or notifications are defined under dot3adTablesLastChangedGroup
then there will be no over-the-wire problems if the OID associated with it
is "corrected" to be { dot3adAggGroups 6 }.  Formally the SMIv2 revision
rules don't allow making the change but it probably will not cause any harm
to do so since OIDs associated with OBJECT-GROUPs are not used over-the-wire
and people don't usually import them into MIB modules to generate other OIDs
that are sent over the wire.

//cmh