Re: [idn] IDNA problem statement

> Erik Nordmark <Erik dot Nordmark at sun dot com> wrote:
>
> > IDNA uses the Unicode character repertoire, which avoids the
> > significant delays that would be inherent in waiting for a different
> > and specific character set be defined for IDN purposes by some other
> > standards developing organization.
>
> I still don't see the point of this passage.  It sounds as though some
> other standards organization would be better equipped to develop a
> character set than SC 2/WG 1 or UTC, but we're going with Unicode
> anyway, just for the sake of expediency.  Is that the intent?  If not,
> what purpose does the "which" clause serve?

I guess it could have been phrased better.
The intent of the paragraph is to say that the even though the WG has
discussed that Unicode might not be ideal, the (rough) consensus in the WG
is to not prod some body outside the IETF (be it UTC or ISO or somebody else)
to develop something potentially better than Unicode and wait for the result.

Thus in terms of a problem statement, this is a constraint (quite resonable
one at that :-) that the WG placed on itself.

  Erik