Re: [idn] length restrictions on IDN label

> James Seng wrote:
>
> >Let me repeat again,
> >
> >the restriction is octet(ToASCII(X)) <= 63 (sorry, forget the =).
> >
> >The length restriction of a domain name (incidently, UTF-8 encoded string
> >which looks like domain name is not a domain name) in a DNS UDP packet is
> >something beyond this working group.
> >
> The restriction orginated from RFC1035 affects all  label
> creation/validations.
> And "octet(ToASCII(X)) <= 63" seems to loosen the restrictions about
> 8bit labels. That is why i think RFC1035 restriction is about to be
> obsoleted.

	There is nothing new with the number of octets in presentation
	form being greater those presented on the wire.  In RFC
	1034 0x00 is presented as "\000", 0x5c as "\\" or  "\093",
	0x2e as "\." or "\046".

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org