Re: [idn] Document Status?

John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com> wrote:

> while I don't think any of us would encourage it, it would be
> plausible for the administrator of a particular zone (or subtree) to
> say that "1" and "l", and "u" and "v" are just too similar, and hence
> that no labels containing "1" or "v" are permitted to be registered in
> that zone.

Yes.

> it would be completely unacceptable for that zone administrator to
> expect that a query containing "ab1cd" be mapped into, or interpreted
> as, a query containing "ablcd", or that information associated with
> "ablcd" be returned in response to a query for "ab1cd".

Not even if the registry told everyone up front that this is how it
would operate?  As long as registrants understand that the resource
records they associate with ablcd will be automatically mirrored
under ab1cd, what's the problem?  Registrants who don't want this
auto-mirroring (like me) can go to a different registry.

> If the relevant zone accepts dynamic updates that can add labels to
> the zone, we need to be absolutely sure that there are appropriate and
> unambiguous reply states for "that label isn't acceptable for this
> zone even though it meets all of the syntax rules".

This is not an IDN issue; per-zone acceptable-name policies and dynamic
updates both existed before IDN.  If anything, this is an issue for the
dynamic DNS update spec, not the IDN spec.

AMC