RE: [idn] Document Status?

> >The only text I recall which has some bearing on this is:
> >   It is expected that some name-handling bodies, such as large
> >   zone administrators and groups of affiliated zone administrators,
> >I don't see how registries limiting the set of Unicode code points
> >that can be used in a part of the name space has any
> negative impact on
> >interoperability; registries limit the types of names for
> various policy
> >reasons already (such as only allowing registered companies in some
>
> I am hoping that I am misunderstanding what you have just
> written, Erik.
>
> You are suggesting that the set of valid characters -- leaf
> characters?  intermediate node characters? -- will depend
> upon the portion
> of the DNS tree that the name is under?  This is a
> fundamental change to
> the DNS.
>
> Since you disagree, please cite an existing example of such a
> dependency,
> on place in the tree, in the current DNS.

Jumping in...

There are some domain name registries that prohibit certain combinations of
characters in the name spaces they administer.  The administrator of the .us
ccTLD, for example, prohibits use of the seven "dirty words" described by
the US FCC and George Carlin.  While this isn't a restriction on the set of
valid characters, it _is_ a restriction on how they may be combined.  I read
Erik's note to mean that registries may well prohibit certain Unicode code
points or combinations of code points for various policy or legal reasons,
and I'd agree with that assessment.

Please correct me if my interpretation is wrong, Erik.

-Scott-